The latest email scam follows quickly on the heels of Blizzard’s announcement of a new expansion. Players are reporting receiving emails offering signups to beta test the expansion. These are not real. Blizzard will announce any beta on its website. See this blue sticky in the official forums for information about what to do if you receive a scam email.
Skip this story if you don’t want the surprise ruined.
If you’re impatient and don’t want to wait for the Background Downloader, you can download the patch from a mirror here:
You want a patch from the US column in the first table.
If you like to use BitTorrent with your favorite client (I like uTorrent), grab the official torrent file from the last row of the first table (the one that has “worldofwarcraft.com” next to it). This uses the same torrent that the BackgroundDownloader uses. Here’s a direct link to the torrent:
For full patch notes, go here:
There a link to undocumented changes on that page, but the list is currently only one item. I expect that to grow as people discover changes not in the official notes.
(Should Eldre’Thalas be down for patch fixes, remember to check our Horde guild <Geriatric Ward> on Aerie Peak.)
There’s a nice article at Eldergame.com critiquing the current wash of game tweaks on WoW. The Live Team leader for Asheron’s Call 2 points out what he feels are mistakes in the handling of WoW design now that Blizzard’s “A Team” designers have moved on to newer games. The comments replying to the article are also quite interesting.
On the PTR it’s been discovered that a single-use heirloom item costing 1000 gold will be available to level 80’s in Dalaran that can be used by an alt to train Cold Weather Flying at level 68! Read the details here:
To provide players with a more transparent notification of when Wintergrasp battles occur, as well as better control zone population and stability, several changes have been made.
- Players now have the option to queue for Wintergrasp from a Wintergrasp Battlemaster in any capital city or by simply entering the Wintergrasp zone.
- Queuing will begin 15 minutes before each battle. If chosen, you will automatically be teleported to the zone. Any players in the zone who have not been chosen from the queue will be teleported out when the battle begins.
- The queue system remains active for the entire battle. As soon as a player leaves, a new one will be chosen from the queue.
- Trying to enter Wintergrasp during an active battle for which you have not been chosen will teleport you out. Please note that, as you are now able to fly over Wintergrasp, you will only be teleported out if you try to land and join the battle.
- Level 80 players get higher priority in the queue than lower level players. In addition, a random selection of queued players will be taken from both the Battlemasters and the zone itself.
- The queue will accept up to 100 players from each faction, resulting in a maximum battle of 200 players at a time.